Can bagels with poppy seeds cause you to fail a drug test? Why?
Answer is YES…
Since poppy seeds come from the seed pods of opium plants, they can be polluted with opium milk, which contains morphine. Before they’re used as an ingredient in baking, the seeds are cleaned and processed but they can still contain traces of opiate residue. It won’t have any morphine-like effect causing feeling of getting high, but it can be enough to cause a positive result on a sensitive test.
According to Dr. Michael Greger, a physician, New York Times bestselling author, and internationally recognized professional speaker on public health issues, safe limit of poppy seeds is minimum 2 tbsp and to calculate maximum limit follow this rule of thumb rule about 1 tsp for every 7 pounds of body weight.
Exploring poppy seeds
The poppy plant is the biennial in nature i.e. it grows every second year. Its native to Mediterranean region of Europe and is cultivated in India, Russia, Egypt, Yugoslavia, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, China, Japan, Argentina, Spain, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Portugal for its legal medicinal use.
The poppy seeds are derived from the poppy plant. These are basically the oil seeds with no narcotic characteristics. These seeds are crunchy, crispy in texture, irregular shaped, small in size and off-white colored.
1. Poppy seeds are used in treating sleep disorder or insomnia
Clearly, insomnia is related to stress and nervousness. Poppy seeds have high content of magnesium, this common mineral not only helps you fall asleep, but it helps you enjoy deeper, more restful sleep. Also, the dried poppy seeds contain compounds called alkaloids. These alkaloids have a soothing effect and helps in treating emotional outbursts, such as anger, anxiety, epileptic and hysteric attacks, restlessness, nervousness, etc.
2. Poppy seeds are used in treating eczema and for maintaining optimum skin health
High content of linolenic acid (omega 3 fatty acids) from poppy seeds helps in treating eczema and inflammation.
Since these seeds are rich in fatty acids, they form a protective layer on skin and prevent loss of moisture.
3. Poppy seeds strengthen bones
It is regular consumption of poppy seeds can prevent osteoporosis.
Poppy seeds are rich in minerals like calcium, phosphorous and copper and manganese. Each of these minerals are excellent for bone health.
We know Calcium’s role in bone health, but calcium alone can't build strong bones and tissues. Research shows calcium needs phosphorus to maximize its bone-strengthening benefits. These two elements are mutually dependent on each other for bone health.
copper strengthens the bones as well as the connective tissue and the manganese in the seeds supports the production of collagen, a protein that protects bones from severe damage.
Around the world
· In India, in curries and making a sweet dish.
· In Indonesian curry paste made with very exotic ingredients
· In Caribbean curry paste
In West in bagels, cakes, muffins, bread and other baked goods.
1. Add 2 tbsp of poppy seeds and little sugar in milk and drink an hour or 2 before sleeping, it helps in insomnia.
2. For insomnia, consume 1 tsp of poppy oil every night.
3. Make a face-pack with grounded poppy seeds and little lime juice. Apply it on your skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with tap water and repeat twice a week. This will help lessen skin irritation, itchiness and can soothe make the skin glow.