The seeds so small that you can plant whole acre in just 1 ounce of seeds and in one pound is worth 750,000 seeds…
But don’t underestimate this spice because of its size, it has king-size healing benefits…
This unique and not very popular spice is “Celery Seeds”. Celery seeds have been extensively used in Ayurvedic medicine for hundreds of years, especially for treating cold, as a diuretic and as an anti-inflammatory medicine. Even though celery was popular as traditional medicine in old times, it started gaining favor as food in middle ages specifically in France and Italy. According to historians, Italy was first country to use celery as food. Today, celery seed is a popular spice in American, European, Japanese, Australian and many other cuisines around the world.
Exploring Celery Seeds…
Celery is native to Mediterranean region, but it is now grown in many parts of the world.
Celery seeds are part of flowers from celery plant. Celery seeds are dark brown colored and have a strong overpowering yet pleasing smell. They are known as “Ajmoda” in India but can be greatly confused with carom seeds or Ajwain. They are slightly, bitter or pungent in flavor when raw. You can dry roast them for more desirable sweet flavor. They can be found in whole, ground and in oil form.
Celery Seeds are nutritional with rich source of vitamins A, B, C & E, protein, iron, potassium, fiber, sodium, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium with traces of niacin, riboflavin and thiamine.
They are packed with nutritious phytonutrients—particularly, phthalides, the anti-inflammatory element responsible for giving celery and celery seeds their distinctive taste and apigenin, an extremely healthy flavonoid well known for treating various neurological diseases.
1. Celery seeds can help to reduce pain and inflammation caused due to arthritis.
Arthritis is the inflammation of joints in the body, causing pain and stiffness that can become verse with age. Apiin, from celery has anti-inflammatory and pain reducing properties. The compounds like Appin gives celery an anti-arthritic and helps properties to reduce pain, swelling, and fatigue related with uncontrolled inflammation in the body.
2. Celery seeds can help prevent the development of renal disease or chronic kidney disease.
Renal disease or chronic kidney disease is disease which causes kidney failure and affect kidney functions. Celery seeds are rich in the diuretic oils, which are powerful in cleansing the system from these excess fluids. It can help stimulate the kidneys, triggering the body to flush out uric acid and excess crystals that can cause many problems including gout and kidney stones.
Also, presence of potassium in celery can not only promote healthy kidneys but help lower the development of renal disease. In addition, potassium can lower high blood pressure and balance calcium levels in the urine.
3. Celery seeds can help prevent gastric ulcers.
Gastric Ulcers occur when stomach acid damages the lining of the digestive tract. Its main cause is a bacterium named, helicobacter pylori which cases this harmful condition. Celery and celery seeds are rich in Nitrate, which is one of the most effective and healthy nutrients that is known to fight against these bacteria. Upon digestion, nitrate reaches gastric acid and converts it, into nitric oxide. Nitric oxide protects the inner lining of the stomach and encourages proper blood flow to it, thus is very helpful in regulating and promoting healthy digestive functioning.
Interesting ways to include celery seeds into your diet
- Celery seeds can be added to soups and salad dressings for flavor.
- Celery seeds can be added to curries, pickles, and chutneys.
- Add celery seeds in tomato juice, sauces and coleslaw.
- Celery seeds go well with eggs, add a pinch of celery seeds to scrambled eggs or omelets.
- Make a tea with celery seeds and drink to relive stress and experience calmness To make Celery Seed Tea use 1 – 2 teaspoons of seeds, cover with hot water and leave to steep for 10 minutes.
- For respiratory issues, inflammation, pain, kidney issues consume ground celery seeds ½ tsp twice a day with water.
- For dry cough and phlegm, chew celery seeds slowly and let the juices mix with the saliva,
- For indigestion and flatulence, eat ground celery seeds twice a day
- Celery seeds help in boosting metabolism and aid in weight loss. For weight loss and to curb hunger, consume ground celery seeds with milk.
- For swollen and inflamed joints, muscle pains, or sciatica pain, taking a warm bath using 10-15 drops of celery oil mixed in the bath water may help in relieving the pain. To apply the oil directly onto inflamed joints, celery seed oil should be mixed with a carrier oil.